The Deschutes River Conservancy (DRC), based in Bend, Oregon, is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization founded in 1996. The mission of the DRC is to restore stream flow and improve water quality in the Deschutes Basin. The DRC brings together tribal, irrigation, environmental, hydropower, and federal, state and local government interests in a consensus-based forum to work toward these goals. The DRC has approximately 9 staff members and a $2 Million budget. In addition, DRC is under contract to manage the accounting functions of the Upper Deschutes Watershed Council (UDWC). DRC shares office space with UDWC that has a staff of approximately six. The combined agencies create a dynamic organizational work place with a high emphasis on collaboration and team effort.
The Staff Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and assists in the financial, administrative, and grants/contracts management of the organization. This position will work on the management of the organization’s financial records in accordance with all current accounting standards and will also be key in the management of the organization’s numerous grants. This position will also provide these same services to the Upper Deschutes Watershed Council.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist the Finance Director in establishing, maintaining, and coordinating accounting and grant control procedures
- Track expenditures for local, state, federal, and private funding, contracts, and grants
- Work in partnership with the Director of Finance and Program Director to manage grant budgets. Maintain grant budget reports and support documentation. Prepare grant reports as needed.
- Process payroll and administer employee benefits
- Prepare and enter revenue, expense, payroll, A/R, and A/P journal entries
- Resolve accounting discrepancies
- Prepare annual 1099 Forms
- Interact with external auditors in completing audits
- Provide back-up as needed with bookkeeping and reception staff functions
- Assist with maintaining and developing written procedures and policies
- Assist with administrative and financial control of events
- Other duties as assigned
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or a related field from an accredited four year college or university; a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration that included two introductory and two intermediate level accounting courses (one course in business law may be substituted for one of the accounting courses); or a combination of accounting classes and experiences that demonstrates the ability to manage the accounting requirements of the position.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $42,000 to $52,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical and dental group health coverage, holiday, personal and vacation time, and 403(b) plan contributions.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first review of applications will be on October 5, 2018, though the position will remain open until filled.
Learn more about us at: www.deschutesriver.org
The DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.